- Department Overview
- History Programs
- Student Opportunities
- Faculty and Staff
- Alumni, Corporations and Partners
History graduates from S&T have gone on to do much more than teach. They have become teachers, professors, lawyers, military officers, and museum curators, among other professions.
Not to say that teaching history to high school students is a bad thing. History majors that couple their Bachelor of Arts with a secondary teacher education certificate are certified to teach grades 9-12 in Missouri.
You can even become a successful author, like Petra DeWitt ‘96, assistant professor in the department. DeWitt is the author of Degrees of Allegiance: Harassment and Loyalty in Missouri's Germany-American Community during World War I, which won the Missouri History Book Award in 2012.
Notable Alumni Across the World
- Randall Stagner ’81, is a District A councilor in Raleigh, N.C., where he represents 80,000 citizens on the city council.
- Bryan Lewis ’05, is the Regional Emergency Response Manager for Newmont Mining Corporation’s Africa operations in Ghana.
- Sam Mahaney ’85, is commander of Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora, Colo. He has been nominated for promotion to brigadier general.
- Aaron White ’05, is head archeologist for the Seminole Nation in Florida.
- Nathan Derrickson ’07 is teaching at Sri Cempaka, a private school in Malaysia.
- Wayne Hanley ’85, is the chair of the Department of History at West Chester University in West Chester, Pa.
- Eric Crumpecker ’92, is the head track and field coach at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau.
- Cordell Smith ’88, works in the Office of Congressional and Legislative Affairs at the Department of Veterans Affairs in Washington, D.C.
- Darlene Bramel ’82, is the principal at Rolla’s Truman Elementary School.
- Adam Smith ’10, is curator of collections at Stearns History Museum in St. Cloud, Minn.
- Julie Mauer ’96, is an attorney with Ryley, Carlock & Applewhite in Phoenix, Ariz.